Washington, DC - Ipsos' latest poll, carried out on behalf of Reuters and published today, shows that Gubernatorial Demcratic candidate John Hickenlooper enjoys a substantial lead among likely voters with Tom Tancredo in the race (Hickenlooper is on 41%, compared to Republican Maes on 33% and Tancredo on 16%) … but that the race is a dead heat if Tom Tancredo drops out (45% each for Hickenlooper and Maes).
In the Senate race, Republican candidate Ken Buck leads his Democrat opponent Michael Bennet by 9 points (49% vs. 40%) among likely voters.
Other key findings from the poll, which included a brief module on immigration:
- The 'Enthusiasm Gap' between Democrats and Republicans is substantial in Colorado, with 59% of Democrats saying they are 'certain to vote' compared to 76% of Republicans
- Half (50%) of registered voters think that things in Colorado are on the wrong track (42% think they're heading in the right direction). These figures also reflect Governor Bill Ritter's approval ratings, with 50% disapproving and 46% approving of the way he is doing his job.
- While only 10% name immigration as one of the state's biggest problems, there are certainly strong views on the issue when we ask about specifics:
- 40% agree that anyone residing illegally in the US should be sent back to their home country, with no exceptions
- 62% agree that people residing illegally in the US who commit other crimes should be sent back, but others left alone
- About half (49%) think that all people residing illegally in the US should be allowed an opportunity to become citizens now that they are here -- although the same proportion (48%) disagree
- Almost two-thirds (63%) agree that a person residing illegally in the US who has a clean record should be able to pay a fine and taxes, and then have the opportunity to become citizens
More data and full technical details are available in the topline document under 'Downloads' in the sidebar to the right.
For more information on this press release, please contact:
Ipsos Public Affairs
Ipsos is a leading global survey-based market research company, owned and managed by research professionals. Ipsos helps interpret, simulate, and anticipate the needs and responses of consumers, customers, and citizens around the world.
Member companies assess market potential and interpret market trends. They develop and build brands. They help clients build long-term relationships with their customers. They test advertising and study audience responses to various media. They measure public opinion around the globe.
Ipsos member companies offer expertise in advertising, customer loyalty, marketing, media, and public affairs research, as well as forecasting, modeling, and consulting. Ipsos has a full line of custom, syndicated, omnibus, panel, and online research products and services, guided by industry experts and bolstered by advanced analytics and methodologies. The company was founded in 1975 and has been publicly traded since 1999.
In 2009, Ipsos generated global revenues of €943.7 million ($1.31 billion U.S.).
Visit www.ipsos-na.com to learn more about Ipsos offerings and capabilities.
Ipsos, listed on the Eurolist of Euronext – Comp B, is part of SBF 120 and the Mid-100 Index, adheres to the Next Prime segment and is eligible to the Deferred Settlement System. Isin FR0000073298, Reuters ISOS.PA, Bloomberg IPS:FP