Two in Three (67%) Canadians say Something Embarrasses them about Being Canadian or Living in Canada

The Value of the Canadian Dollar (33%), our History with First Nations (27%) and Being too Politically Correct (23%) Top the List of Embarrassments

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Toronto, ON — Two in three (67%) Canadians say that something embarrasses them about being Canadian or living in Canada, according to a new Ipsos poll conducted on behalf of Global News. The remaining one in three (33%) Canadians affirm that nothing embarrasses them about being Canadian or living in Canada.

Those most comfortable with who we collectively are include more women (36%) than men (29%), and those aged 55+ (36%) compared with those aged 35-54 (33%) or 18-34 (28%). Regionally, Atlantic Canadians (41%) are most likely to say that nothing embarrasses them, followed by those living in Ontario (35%), British Columbia (34%), Alberta (33%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (28%) and Quebec (28%).

Among the list of top-five embarrassments include the value of the Canadian Dollar (33%), our history with First Nations in Canada (27%), that we’re too politically correct (23%), our healthcare system (20%) and our public transit infrastructure (17%).

Other sources of embarrassment for fewer Canadians include: that we don’t stand up to other countries (16%), that we don’t have enough influence on the global stage (14%), that we’re too polite (13%), that we don’t do enough militarily to help our allies overseas (11%), that we’re too modest (9%), that we think we’re better than the rest of the world (6%), that we don’t contribute our fair share to foreign aid (4%), our national arts and culture (4%) or our national cuisine (3%).

The following highlights the Canadians who are most embarrassed about the following aspects of being Canadian or living in Canada:

  • The value of the Canadian Dollar (33% nationally): Quebec (38%), men (35%)
  • Our history with First Nations (27%): Ontario (31%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (31%), Millennials (29%), Boomers (29%)
  • Too politically correct (23%): Men (29%), Boomers (28%), Alberta (27%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (27%)
  • Our healthcare system (20%): Quebec (33%), Boomers (25%)
  • Our public transit infrastructure (17%): Millennials (22%)
  • Standing up to other countries (16%): Quebec (26%)
  • Lack of influence globally (14%): Quebec (20%), men (16%)
  • Too polite (13%): Quebec (17%), men (16%)
  • Don’t do enough militarily (11%): Men (14%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (14%)

These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted between December 15 and 21, 2016, on behalf of Global News. For this survey, a sample of 3,004 Canadians from Ipsos' online panel was interviewed online. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics to ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll is accurate to within ± 2.0 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, had all Canadian adults been polled. The credibility interval will be wider among subsets of the population. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.

For more information on this news release, please contact:

Darrell Bricker, PhD
CEO, Global
Ipsos Public Affairs
416.324.2001
darrell.bricker@ipsos.com

About Ipsos

Ipsos ranks third in the global research industry. With a strong presence in 87 countries, Ipsos employs more than 16,000 people and has the ability to conduct research programs in more than 100 countries. Founded in France in 1975, Ipsos is controlled and managed by research professionals. They have built a solid Group around a multi-specialist positioning—Media and advertising research; Marketing research; Client and employee relationship management; Opinion & social research; Mobile, Online, Offline data collection and delivery. Ipsos has been listed on the Paris Stock Exchange since 1999.


Two in Three (67%) Canadians say Something Embarrasses them about Being Canadian or Living in Canada

Contact

Sean Simpson
Vice President, Canada
Ipsos Public Affairs
+1.416.324.2002
sean.simpson@ipsos.com